New Class, Here I Come ASP.Net

Back to expanding my knowledge with a new class at DeVry. This time, developing an ASP.Net website with C#. Looking forward to this as this will directly help me with an ASP.Net site that I took over as admin last year. Fortunately, I still have a few developers who are familiar with the code; but I can’t say it has been easy trying to figure it out only having experience setting up basic websites just with HTML. Granted, the site at work uses Visual Basic; but the the underlying idea is the same. Main page file that defines the page, and and an underlying file that controls the more advanced programming logic.

The first few chapters I had to read helped out immensely as now I understand how ASPX files actually work with the two files. That is what has honestly been throwing me off this whole time with the website at work. I would see the top ASPX file and kept wondering how the hell it actually worked. Now I know. Granted, I should have been able to figure this out as it isn’t that difficult, I just never had time at work since I still had two developers and had other tasks needing to be completed. Now I can better understand how the hell it works.

Back to my class though. Got through the first week without any issue. The class is setup to have a final project that we progressively build throughout the course each weak via the lab assignments. First lab was basically to get familiar with Web Forms by creating two. One that just displayed simple text and the other to have a very basic salary calculator. Since that wasn’t to bad, I spent the rest of the time setting up an Azure DevOps project to track this course project. I’ve got each week setup as an Sprint on my Scrum board and I have a the code setup in the project repository so I can control project versioning. Struggled a bit trying to setup a lab branch tied to my Task, so I held off on branching for now. Going to give another go at setting up a dev/LabWork branch this next week so I can better familiarize myself with GIT branching.

This should be fun and I am legitimately looking forward to this.

CSS Cleanup Complete!

Task accomplished. While still trying to get myself into a better better habit of working on my personal projects, I have completed the first task of my May sprint. I finally removed the custom CSS styles I added within WordPress and updated the actual stylesheet on the server.

Lessons learned, Chromium based browsers like to cache stylesheets apparently. Both Chrome and the Chromium based Edge browser refused to see my CSS changes until I cleared the temp files. However, the current Edge browser was much more forgiving, just needed to reload the page. Granted, there might have been another way to address this, but I’m still learning.

Along with that, the Developer tools are a web designers best friend. Always knew they existed, but never really had a need to use them. While trying to update a 3000+ line stylesheet that I didn’t write, it makes a world of difference being able to highlight an element on the page, see what styles control it, and even see what line that code starts at in the actual file. Honestly, it was way easier to mess with the WordPress CSS code just editing the actual stylesheet vs trying to override it via the WordPress interface.

Next two tasks I want to complete this sprint, setup a failover page if my site goes down and setup a backup plan in the case my site goes completely belly up. Outside of working on my web development project, I’m planning on starting on a game development project. Setup Unity and downloaded some tutorials. Just need to follow them and start making something.

Time for Scrum!

Okay, so my “pitfall” of starting new projects while already working on projects I mentioned in my last post didn’t turn out as bad as I though. I can’t say I’m a Scrum Master; but I use it enough at work with my team that I feel comfortable enough at giving it a go on my own. Also figured out it wasn’t all to hard to find one sufficient for my own personal projects, Azure DevOps Services. Considering I already have an account and it is free, figured why not.

I now have an official project setup for my Dev Journal site with my own Scrum board and a Story to cover my sites initial setup. First task, cleanup the CSS! Got the stylesheet copied off of the server, created notes on the custom CSS I was using, and pulled some styles from the original WordPress.com version of this site.

I’ve already started looking through; but realized it wouldn’t hurt to setup some version control for the stylesheet considering it is over 3300 lines of code. Knowing me, way too easy to completely screw this one up. Now to get even more familiar with GIT and start branching!

CSS Cleanup Project

Okay, so using something like WordPress to build out my blog was easy. Moving over to my own AWS instance and setting up my own WordPress server is a whole different story. Especially when the WordPress Theme doesn’t migrate as expected.

I’ve been doing what I can in the WordPress admin page to add custom CSS styles to tweek the look; but realizing this doesn’t cut it so well when I’m trying to override the existing CSS styles that are part of the theme. Then I remembered this is my own server. I don’t have to use the custom CSS feature in WordPress itself, I can edit the actual CSS files on the server itself.

Still new to HTML/CSS, so why not just dive into the deep end with tweeking a website far more complex then anything I’ve actually created. Just need to figure out my plan of attack, create backups of the files (not my first rodeo), and start to dig through some CSS.