Really happy I had this class to be honest. Learned a lot about ASP.NET (granted, that should be the case considering this is a class towards my degree) and how it to use C# to code the page functionality. The format of the class was nice. Each week had a lab that culminated in the final course project due in the final week. Have to admit, it was fairly easy and I can see setting up my own multi-page site fairly quickly. Granted, I’m restricted to Windows based on what I learned if I were to build a site. Haven’t dug into how .NET Core works with ASP.NET and if/how it would be possible to deploy an ASP.NET site on a Linux system. At least I understand how ASP.NET works now.
Now I just need to review the website I administer at work built using ASP.NET. Biggest hurdle with that though is the fact it was built using Visual Basic about 10 years ago. Not a fan of Visual Basic and haven’t played with it in over 10 years.
Side note, while I was taking the class, I came to find out Microsoft also released Blazor WebAssembly 3.2.0. While I’m thinking of a side project to setup an ASP.NET site, I’m now thinking about digging into Blazor first. Not sure if I’ll completely deploy it though based on how easily I can deploy it for a minimal cost. Thinking my first site will be a static site written in HTML/CSS hosted on S3. No cost unless I go over 5GB, or traffic spikes enough. So many options.
Back to expanding my knowledge with a new class at DeVry. This time, developing an ASP.Net website with C#. Looking forward to this as this will directly help me with an ASP.Net site that I took over as admin last year. Fortunately, I still have a few developers who are familiar with the code; but I can’t say it has been easy trying to figure it out only having experience setting up basic websites just with HTML. Granted, the site at work uses Visual Basic; but the the underlying idea is the same. Main page file that defines the page, and and an underlying file that controls the more advanced programming logic.
The first few chapters I had to read helped out immensely as now I understand how ASPX files actually work with the two files. That is what has honestly been throwing me off this whole time with the website at work. I would see the top ASPX file and kept wondering how the hell it actually worked. Now I know. Granted, I should have been able to figure this out as it isn’t that difficult, I just never had time at work since I still had two developers and had other tasks needing to be completed. Now I can better understand how the hell it works.
Back to my class though. Got through the first week without any issue. The class is setup to have a final project that we progressively build throughout the course each weak via the lab assignments. First lab was basically to get familiar with Web Forms by creating two. One that just displayed simple text and the other to have a very basic salary calculator. Since that wasn’t to bad, I spent the rest of the time setting up an Azure DevOps project to track this course project. I’ve got each week setup as an Sprint on my Scrum board and I have a the code setup in the project repository so I can control project versioning. Struggled a bit trying to setup a lab branch tied to my Task, so I held off on branching for now. Going to give another go at setting up a dev/LabWork branch this next week so I can better familiarize myself with GIT branching.
This should be fun and I am legitimately looking forward to this.
I wasn’t sure how long this will take; but due to a personal emergency, I won’t have much at this time. Was really hoping to start this year on a better note. 2020 apparently had a different plan.
Okay, so I’ve been on another hiatus. Work has been killer while trying to maintain and manage an application in AWS and handling four different database migrations. Combine this with my team having been trimmed down to bare bones last year. It has been fun. I’ll leave it at that.
So after having to decom my own personal AWS infrastructure due to cost (aka, my free services were no longer free) and moving everything over to WordPress, I haven’t been up to much until recently.
First off, I finally have a project for my Raspberry Pi I’ve had on my desk for over a year. I just finished setting it up as a local WordPress server. Basically a WordPress playground I can mess around with to better understand how WordPress works so if I ever get back to setting up my own server, I’ll actually have an idea of what I’m doing. Ideally from scratch as well. Used a custom AMI from the market to setup in AWS last time. Wasn’t bad for getting started, but was a little to much for me to properly manage. Won’t likely expose this little guy to the world; but figured it this will be nice.
I’m also planning on finally starting to work on some of the example projects in Unity. Finally get my feet wet with some game development. I kept on getting stuck on wanting to try coding basic app first, but haven’t had much interest in anything. So instead of holding off on just playing around with Unity until I’m “ready”, I’m finally going to just give it a go.
Here’s to a new year and new projects (a month and a half after the year started).