Been a while, but I can’t say I haven’t been busy. Getting oh so much closer to finally getting my bachelors degree in web development and administration. System administration with Windows I’ve got as that is one of my jobs at work. Web development has become interesting.
While I can work my way though HTLM and CSS, all of my advanced classes have been purely ASP.NET. I can’t completely complain considering I manage an ASP.NET site at work, but they are focusing more on the C# code-behind elements. I need to make sure I work more on my HTML5 and CSS skills, which I can use with ASP.NET. Will have to do that on my own time though.
I have to admit, learning ASP.NET has been fun at least, and very easy to get started with. Helps that I already know C# and I use C# at work; but those Web Forms make this so easy, in my opinion. Especially when using Web Forms and Visual Studio with the GUI. Granted, I remember Dreamweaver working similar, just been a while since I’ve used it.
At this point, I’ve built/worked on a few full ASP.NET websites. A bit rudimentary as these were for a class and they aren’t publicly accessible. So while I did implement user login and user access, it was very basic and not the most secure. Can’t imagine using a Session variable that holds “A” for administrator being all that secure. Not to mention, not enforcing a secure connection between the database when validating credentials is also not ideal. At least I’m aware so I know what not to do on a production site.
At least with all said and done, I can develop and maintain an ASP.NET website using C#. FYI, don’t ask about Visual Basic. I try to avoid that at all costs. Just not a fan of Visual Basic.
Task accomplished. While still trying to get myself into a better better habit of working on my personal projects, I have completed the first task of my May sprint. I finally removed the custom CSS styles I added within WordPress and updated the actual stylesheet on the server.
Lessons learned, Chromium based browsers like to cache stylesheets apparently. Both Chrome and the Chromium based Edge browser refused to see my CSS changes until I cleared the temp files. However, the current Edge browser was much more forgiving, just needed to reload the page. Granted, there might have been another way to address this, but I’m still learning.
Along with that, the Developer tools are a web designers best friend. Always knew they existed, but never really had a need to use them. While trying to update a 3000+ line stylesheet that I didn’t write, it makes a world of difference being able to highlight an element on the page, see what styles control it, and even see what line that code starts at in the actual file. Honestly, it was way easier to mess with the WordPress CSS code just editing the actual stylesheet vs trying to override it via the WordPress interface.
Next two tasks I want to complete this sprint, setup a failover page if my site goes down and setup a backup plan in the case my site goes completely belly up. Outside of working on my web development project, I’m planning on starting on a game development project. Setup Unity and downloaded some tutorials. Just need to follow them and start making something.
Something I never really setup has has been a personal page where I can share my achievements in the chance it comes in handy. Figuring that with this blog, my current class, and my AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate and AWS Certified Developer – Associate certificates, this is as good of a place as any to start showing off what I know.
Something I plan on trying to do throughout my current course is to share the sites I build in each lab and the progress I make on my course project.
I’ll save uploading the current weeks lab until the next week. Regrding the course project, I’ll try to keep this updated as I work on it. Please keep in mind, everything is still a work in progress.
Assuming I can get some spare time, my eventual goal will be to move this blog onto my own EC2 instance in AWS. I already have one running, just need the time to play around with server to get everthing ready.
Finally got a chance to setup my the resume site I had to create for last weeks lab. Very basic, but said I would share it once I have it.